Monday, August 15, 2005

Damn ducks

Another reminder that people are morons....

So as I cruise down highway 97 (a 2-lane near my school), I see that an old lady is driving a lead car in a 3-car train. That is, the asshole behind her is riding her tail because she isn't hurtling headlong down the highway at breakneck speed, and the car behind him is doing the same.

Suddenly, the lady in front hits the brakes, forcing the tailgater in the HUGE pickup to swerve around her...into my lane! Now the truck is aimed at me! Meanwhile, the third car swerves into the ditch to avoid the lady with the brakes on. The truck flashes back into his own lane, and I catch the driver clearly shouting epithets for his near miss. The little old lady has come to a damn-near stop on the highway as I go by, and the final car is trying to get back out of the ditch.

The cause of all this hoopla, during which my 26 years on this planet have flashed before my eyes and I nearly peed my pants? Four little duckies, trying to cross the road, and one little old lady, who apparently felt their lives were more important than those of the people driving around her.

Bitch.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

When faced with the choice of saving the lives of innocent ducks or saving the lives of the assholes in the pickup trucks behind me, I would find it difficult not to stop for the ducks. That's just me though, your resident animal lover.

dancingo4 said...

For someone who loves most animals, even critters like hamsters and other "rat" types, I'm a bit surprised about the hostility towards the cute duckies. However, being filled with my own case of road rage, I understand the hatred that exists towards awful drivers. This is quite the conundrum. We can just be thankful that everyone made it through the situation unharmed and accident-free.
And I realize this must sound surprising coming from me, but I have recently had a change of heart towards animals. Not sure what the cause of it is but I'm not despising them as much as I used to. Who knows.

Hot4Teacha said...

No doubt I love me some little rat-type critters, that's a fact.

But something about a 2000-pound red pickup hurtling towards me made me re-prioritize.

Down with furry friends. Props to people (except the little old lady, she has GOT to go).