Monday, July 27, 2009

A Killer in My Midst

Jarad & I were hanging out at my place the other day, having just finished breakfast and coffee. As we were planning our next steps for the day, in from the great outdoors walks Pudder...with something in her mouth! And this wasn't a little thing, like a grasshopper. Nope, it was BIG and gray and had a tail!

Pudder sauntered right past us and sat down over by the kitchen, where she proceeded to drop said item and hunker down as if to (gulp) gnaw on it. I, being the untutored cat owner that I am, leaped to my feet to get her away from it. She had it clamped back in her mouth by now; I scooped her up by her belly and had to admonish her into dropping it again.

There it lay, gray unmoving mouse on my living room floor. Meanwhile, I'm cuddling Pudder to keep her away from it, and I'm trying not to cry. I think this is where I should have praised her and been impressed with her hunting skills, because she obviously caught it and brought it into the house for me. But I was too distraught to have this reaction...maybe next time.

Jarad, gallant hero of mine, got rid of the mouse (it was dead, thank God...half-alive would have been even more awful) and I was able to put Pudder back down. She prowled around the house for a while, as if trying to find her newly captured prey. Eventually, she gave up and went back to hanging out on the stoop. No big deal, apparently - she was able to resume her normal activities, no problem.



I, however, may never be the same. My gentle, sweet, loving Pudder...a killer. Why did she have to go and remind me she's actually a cat? Why, Pudder, why?

2 comments:

Natalie said...

This is tough because you don't want to wound her pride by yelling at her for doing what come naturally. But a bit of advice - DO NOT LET HER EAT IT. It was good that Jarad disposed of the remains. My mom's cat catches mice all the time and eats them. Picking up regurgitated mice is way grosser than picking up freshly dead ones.

Luckily, the only thing my kitties have ever caught was the poor occasional lizard that made it into the apartment. That was bad because Alley would kill it and run around with it in her mouth growling and swiping at whoever tried to stop her. We had to just let her go long til she got sick of it.

Hot4Teacha said...

Now she has the blood lust - she was chasing a baby bunny the other night! What happened to my cute little Pudder? She's a huntress!

I think lizards would truly put me over the edge. Eeeeewwwwwww.