Saturday, September 10, 2005

Week 1 Done: Still Alive

OK, so now that the first week of school is over, and I find I am still able to draw breath into my body, I should update the ol' blog. For all 5 people who read it. But whateva!

School is off to a bang. I have all interior design classes this quarter, which makes my life easier. I also have 35-36 students in each of those classes....yikes!! But it's not so bad, as most of them are fairly mellow females, and the classroom I'm in can accommodate that many bodies fairly well.

So there's always a caboose on the train, of course. Like 4th hour, a girl who sits right in front, flips open her cell phone "to check the time" every few minutes. No recognition of the HUGE CLOCK RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER ON THE WALL. But please, yes, let's have a stupid ass power struggle over the cell phone. Because apparently she cannot read an analog clock.

Or maybe the girls in 2nd hour, 3 of whom I switched into different seats after Day 1 showed them to be vicious in proximity to one another. Catfight potential? Perhaps. I better not wear any big earrings or things that could get pulled, just in case.

But overall, not too bad. I ask you: Did we notice these things when we were in school? The undercurrents, the petty I-don't-want-to-sit-by-her-because-fill-in-the-reason-here, the whining, the defiance? Or were we all just too damn good for our own good?

3 comments:

dancingo4 said...

OK. So this is so much more my flavor than ID so I'll gladly add my 2 cents here.
Since high school was 8 freaking years ago - can you believe that?! - I have a hard time recalling where I wanted to sit and who by. But I'm sure I pulled the same trick that the girls in your class are pulling now. "I wanna sit by my friends" or whoever I feel is coolest in the given situation. And girls are totally the worst.
In my dance classes, no matter the age, there is always jostling and positioning. "I want to stand in the front row" "I want to stand in the middle and will save all the spots around me for my friends so if you aren't my friend you will be obviously ostricized."
This happens with the youngest girls to the oldest. Why are we so mean?
But something that is interesting is that I know if I was forced to be in a similar situation, I would most likely act the same way - Still at 26 I would like to sit by my friends than other people that I know, but am not friends with.
I guess we really never grow up?

Natalie said...

I remember those little social tidbits in high school. So much so that I barely remember much else! Years later, and I still notice people in their little cliques, even people who claim to be grown adults.
Time to get on my soapbox for a minute: an interioor design class full of girls, what a surprise! Are they also taking math and science courses or have they all given up?

Natalie said...

Tag!

You're it!