Thursday, April 30, 2009

Western North Dakota...It's All That!

So last weekend, Jarad & I took a bit of a road trip to western North Dakota (Dickinson, to be exact). The purpose of this lovely scenic drive? To visit/meet his dad, stepmom, & little sister (Jack, Arlyce, & Eden). It was Eden's 13th birthday last week, and Jarad had planned a trip out there some time ago. Along came me, and suddenly, there were two reasons to go out west!


The trip went really well, if I do say so myself. I think I made a good impression on the 'rents, and I definitely bonded with Eden. Having sisters her age of my own, I'm pretty good w/ the teenagers! Oh, and I used to teach kids that age - that may have helped.


We did some nice family things, and spent a day out in the Badlands. What a beautiful, rugged place! I went a little nuts upon seeing buffalo up close & personal - it was like "Dances With Wolves" but without the scalping! There was also a trip down The Enchanted Highway, known for its huge metal sculptures made by a local welder & artist. Very cool stuff, indeed.


Overall, some milestones were reached. Jarad & I spent 9 hours straight in a car together and got along just fine. I've now met all of his parents and they dig me (Jack said I'm "a keeper"!). And last but not least, I saw all that North Dakota has to offer. From Fargo to Dickinson, and back again. Will I run back out and do it again soon? Probably not - but I can now add ND to my list of places I've been!


No comments: