Tuesday, June 30, 2009

How I Became a Cat Person

I never thought it would happen to me...

Despite an allergy to felines, I have become a cat person to some degree. Don't get me wrong - I am still very fond of dogs, love puppies, and of course, want a slew of guinea pigs some day. But over the course of a few years, I've really come to appreciate cats, too.

I think it started in earnest when I moved in to Charlie's, up in Forest Lake. In residence was Pokey, the enormous, testy tabby. Pokey and I were very slow to warm up to one another, but after Charlie went to New Zealand for two months and left Pokey's care to me, Pokey & I were best buds. He still remembers me when I visit Charlie's house - how cute is that!?

In the course of falling in love with Pokey, and seeing how much he meant to Charlie, I encouraged Charlie to get another cat. Enter Pudder. She came from a foster home, where she had been for awhile after being in the shelter. But it wasn't meant to be - Pudder did not want anything to do with Pokey, and spent the whole first month of her residence with us in hiding -- in my room.

So, when it came time for me to move to my condo in St. Louis Park, Charlie decided to give me a housewarming present -- Pudder. She's been my little baby ever since then. She has made coming home a delight, and I look forward to her snuggling and purring and various cat antics. She makes me laugh, drives me nuts, and just generally rounds out my life.

So I get it. I get what Natalie and others have long tried to explain or express to me about cats. I'm one of "those people" now, and darn proud of it. So is Pudder...


2 comments:

Natalie said...

I always think it's important to clarify that being a dog person and a cat person are not two mutually exclusive things. You can love both, hell I love all animals!

But it is difficult to explain to those who have not been blessed by the love of a cat just how special they are and what a deep connection you can make with them. I hope to sometime meet this kitty that has captured your heart!

Now you just need a few more...

Hot4Teacha said...

A few more...yikes! I did see "Oscar", a 9-year old male short hair, on the adoption list at the Humane Society in Golden Valley. I even sent a pic of it to Jarad, to see what he thought. But...Pudder is such a solitary girl, and seems SO HAPPY on her own, I hate to rock the boat. I keep waffling on it...get one more, leave it be, get one more...